Friday, August 30, 2013

DIY Sharpie Mugs

I found the infamous DIY sharpie mugs on Pinterest a few months back and thought it would make for a perfect birthday present for my artistic friend. Along with creating a totally awesome crafty yarn robot for part of his birthday card, I gave him plain dollar store dishes and a whole lot of sharpies so the two of us could put our creativeness to good use!

This is what we came up with:


His mug is on the left, mine is on the right.

Now the tricky part: finding a way to keep the design on the mug! Apparently, just baking the mug at 350 degrees for 25 minutes is not the safest way to protect our fabulous masterpieces (evidence here and here). These sources suggested to instead use pebeo markers or oil-based sharpie paint pens. However!! One of the commenters recommended using clear nail polish to seal the deal. She claims this method has helped maintain her mug for at least 6 months despite every day washing. I am very curious to try this out, especially since I have plenty of top coat and bottom coat polish stashed away in my bathroom cabinet.

I want to try out the nail polish idea as soon as possible. Once I do this I will update this post!

Toodles friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment