Sunday, June 15, 2014

Crocheted Baby Turtle Outfit


So here is the first thing I created whilst away from the world of blogging. At the beginning of the year, one of my friends saw this image:
source
...and asked if I could make that outfit for her newborn. 

The task looked simple enough. Make motifs, connect said motives, possibly make a border, make a beanie, DONE. But a few more thoughts went into the process before I finally settled on something I liked. For the shell, the above image shows six pentagons crocheted together, and I don't know about you, but the look of six pentagons pulled together doesn't sit right with my brain. I thought the piece would look more structurally sound if I were to make a hexagon for the center and six pentagons surrounding it, like this:
source
I scouted for the pentagon and hexagon motif patterns on the interwebs and found what I needed at Hodgepodge Crochet. I made some tea, grabbed some yarn from my stash, put on some TV [re-THIS POST], and before I knew it, I had completed the project! Here are some progress pics just because.



Kitty makes a good model, yeah? :p

Have you made (or thought about making) any baby projects lately?

1 comment:

  1. Oh man this little turtle outfit is ADORABLE! And good call on making a hexagon in the middle instead of a pentagon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete